core service, service quality, student satisfaction, supportive services, training service.
Continuous quality improvement of service is a crucial factor for the existence and development of educational institutions. Clarifying and judging the importance of the service’s quality factors are essential elements of quality improvement. The quality of the training services provided by universities in Vietnam have been examined by numerous pieces of research. They focused on a group of subjects, a branch of the university, a major, and assessment of student satisfaction with the use of a toolkit introduced by the MoET or by a school of the university. From these foundations, the purpose of this research is to identify the quality factors of the training service provided by the National Economics University (NEU) as a whole. Education quality is a complex concept and cannot easily be assessed by only one indicator. However, because of the timeframe and the lack of finance, we examined the service quality of NEU from the student perspective by assessing their satisfaction using the SERVQUAL model. The data collection was done by through an online survey. The empirical analysis resulted in 5 factors influencing the quality of the service, assurance, reliability, responsiveness, empathy, and tangibles. From these factors, three suggestions were made for improving the quality of the service: adjusting course structures; retraining communication skills for office staff; upgrading Wi-Fi/internet connection; optimize physical facilities usage. The research findings also have social significance, as empathy was identified as a quality factor. At the same time, the practical implications proposed for NEU’s governors have equal value for state-owned universities in general.
Full Text : PDF
- Barnard, J. (1999). Using Total Quality Principles in Business Courses: The Effect on Student Evaluations. Business Communication Quarterly, 62, 61 - 73. https://doi.org/10.1177/108056999906200206
- Berry, L. L., Parasuraman, A., & Zeithaml, V. A. (1988). The service-quality puzzle. Business Horizons, 31(5), 35-43. https://doi.org/10.1016/0007-6813(88)90053-5
- Berry, L. L., Zeithaml, V. A., & Parasuraman, A. (1985). Quality counts in services, too. Business Horizons, 28(3), 44-52. https://doi.org/10.1016/0007-6813(85)90008-4
- Cheong Cheng, Y., & Ming Tam, W. (1997). Multi‐models of quality in education. Quality Assurance in Education, 5(1), 22-31. https://doi.org/10.1108/09684889710156558
- Crosby, P. B. (1979). Quality is free: the art of making quality certain. McGraw-Hill.
- Ha, N. K. G., & Nguyen, P. H. P. (2015). "Student satisfaction with the quality of training services of the Faculty of Tourism, University of Finance and Marketing in the period 2010-2013" [Sự hài lòng của sinh viên đối với chất lượng dịch vụ đào tạo của Khoa Du lịch trường Đại học Tài chính- Marketing giai đoạn 2010-2013]. Research Finance Marketing Magazine, 28(June 2015), 67 - 74. https://doi.org/10.31219/osf.io/chtpk
- Ha, N. K. G., & Tran, T. M. V. (2020). "Evaluating student satisfaction with the service quality of training basic sciences at Saigon University of Technology" [Sự hài lòng của sinh viên đại học về chất lượng dịch vụ đào tạo các môn Khoa học cơ bản tại trường Đại học Công nghệ Sài Gòn]. SSRN Electronic Journal, 4, 114-119.
- Juran, J. M. (1992). Juran on quality by design: the new steps for planning quality into goods and services. Free Press.
- Madu, C. N., & Kuei, C.-H. (1993). Dimensions of quality teaching in higher institutions. Total Quality Management, 4(3), 325-338. https://doi.org/10.1080/09544129300000046
- Ministry of Education and Training (MoET). (2019). "Higher Education Statistics 2018-2019" [Thống kê giáo dục đại học 2018-2019], Issue. https://moet.gov.vn/thong-ke/Pages/thong-ko-giao-duc-dai-hoc.aspx?ItemID=6636
- Nguyen, D. N. L. (2020). "Evaluating student satisfaction with the service quality of training at Hoa A banch, Can Tho University" [Đánh giá mức độ hài lòng của sinh viên đối với chất lượng dịch vụ đào tạo tại khu Hòa An, trường Đại học Cần Thơ]. Ministry of Trade. Retrieved 20/8/2020 from http://tapchicongthuong.vn/bai-viet/danh-gia-muc-do-hai-long-cua-sinh-vien-doi-voi-chat-luong-dich-vu-dao-tao-tai-khu-hoa-an-truong-dai-hoc-can-tho-75756.htm
- Nguyen, T. N. X. (2018). "Factors affecting student satisfaction with the quality of education at Tra Vinh University" [Các yếu tố ảnh hưởng đến sự hài lòng của sinh viên về chất lượng dịch vụ giáo dục của trường Đại học Trà Vinh]. Journal of Education (Special Issue May 2018), 133 - 137.
- Oliver, R. L., & Bearden, W. O. (1985). Disconfirmation processes and consumer evaluations in product usage. Journal of Business Research, 13(3), 235-246. https://doi.org/10.1016/0148-2963(85)90029-3
- Pham, T. L. (2016). “Training service quality and student satisfaction - The case of University of Economics, Hanoi National University” [Chất lượng dịch vụ đào tạo và sự hài lòng của người học Trường hợp Trường Đại học Kinh tế, Đại học Quốc gia Hà Nội]. VNU Journal of Science, 4(32), 81 - 89.
- Zeithaml, V. A., Parasuraman, A., & Berry, L. L. (1990). Delivering quality service: balancing customer perceptions and expectations. Free Press; Collier Macmillan.