TBLT, English vocabulary teaching practice, interactive word games, input, output, word quizzes
To solve the problem of Chinese EFL students’ passive and ineffective vocabulary learning, task-based language teaching (TBLT) methods were introduced to university English classes. With TBLT, students interacted with each other by using English, especially English words learnt, in order to fulfill the task designed by teachers. Based on second language acquisition theories, students were able to understand input and produce output during this process. This paper focuses on using TBLT in English vocabulary teaching in some non-English major classes of a university, involving some word games used. The word games’ features, organization and a skill set built will be discussed. Also, students’ before-task and after-task word quizzes results will be compared. The research shows that using TBLT in English vocabulary teaching and learning is practical and can assist in students’ vocabulary acquisition.
Full Text : PDF
- Dewey, J. (1916). Democracy and Education (1st ed.). Version: 1.7 (2021). EdTech Books. (Chapter 14).
- CC0: This work is in the public domain.
- Krashen S.D. (1982). Principles and Practice in Second Language Acquisition. Oxford: Pergamon Press Inc.
- Liping, C. (2018). TBLT English Teaching and Reform. 1st edition. Beijing: China Atomic Energy
- Press. (陈丽萍. (2018). 《基于任务型教学法的英语教学研究与改革》. 第一版. 北京：中国原子能出版社.)
- Lixia, C. (2012). ‘The Application of TBLT in College English Teaching’, Education Exploration, pp. 62-63. (池丽霞, 李洁波. (2012). 任务型教学在大学英语课堂教学中的应用. 教育探索, 62-63.)
- Lili, Z. (2019). ‘A Communicative Design of College English Class Based on Task-Oriented
- Method’, Journal of Xiangyang Polytechnic, 18(6), pp. 44-50. (赵莉莉. (2019). 任务型教学法指导下的
- 大学英语交际课堂设计. 襄阳职业技术学院学报, 18(6), 44-50.)
- Nunan, D. (1989). Designing Tasks for the Communicative Classroom. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Nunan, D. (1999). Second Language Teaching and Learning. Boston: Heinle & Heinle Publishers.
- Siying, M. (2019). ‘TBLT College English Reading Teaching Model’, Journal of Mudanjiang College
- of Education, 7, pp. 44-47. (蒙思颖. (2019). 基于任务型教学法的大学英语阅读教学模式构建. 牡丹
- 江教育学院学报, 7, 44-47.)
- Skehan, P.A. (1998). Cognitive Approach to Language Learning. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Willis, J.A. (1996). Framework for Task-Based Learning. London: Longman Handbooks for Language Teachers.
- Xiaojia, C. (2015). ‘The Cultivation of Self-Efficacy of College English Writing Based on TBLT
- Teaching Model’, Education Space, pp. 177-178. (陈晓佳. (2015). 基于任务型教学模式下的大学英语
- 写作自我效能感的培养. 教育时空, 177-178.)
- Xiaoyan, L. (2011). ‘A Research on the Adaptability of the Task-based Language Teaching in
- College English’, Journal of Sichuan University of Science and Engineering (Social Sciences
- Edition), 26(3), pp. 88-92. (刘小燕. (2011). 任务型教学法与大学英语教学实际的适应性研究. 四川理
- 工学院学报（社会科学版）, 26(3), 88-92.)
- Ying, H. (2013). ‘Problems and Solutions of Using TBLT in College English Speaking Class’,
- Overseas English, pp. 55-57. (华莹. (2013). 任务型教学法在大学英语口语教学中遇到的困难及对策.
- 海外英语, 55-57.)