University Global education market, CompetitivenessEffectiveness
The paper looks into the status of Russian universities, their competitiveness and performance in the todaya’s world educational market according to the global QS World University Ranking formed by the British company Quacquarelli Symonds. Within the framework of the research a method has been proposed for clear demonstration of successful performance of a university by faculty and by subject; a comparative indicator analysis has been made for separate divisions of the world universities which have leading positions according to the rankings. The conclusion includes ways to increase performance of Russian universities by separate faculties and subjects and considers opportunities to advance them in the world rankings.
Full Text : PDF
- RF Presidential Edict No. РФ №599 dated 07.05.2012 ‘O merakh po realizatsii gosudarstvennoi politiki v oblasti obrazovania i nauki’[On Measures to Implement National Policy in Education and Science]. [Electronic source] URL: http://www.kremlin.ru/acts/15236 (20.01.2014).
- National Training Foundation (NTF) ‘Kontseptsia eksporta obrazovatelnikh uslug Rossiiskoy Federatsii na period 2011-2020’ [Concept of Educational Service Export of the Russian Federation for 2011-2020]. [Electronic source] URL: http://intpr.ntf.ru/p43aa1.html (15.01.2014).
- Russian Federal State Statistics Service. [Electronic source] URL: gks.ru (15.12.2013).
- Vazhadayeva, N. (2012) Peremena mest [Change in Position]. Itogi, 14.
- ‘Doklad rektora SPbGPU A.I. Rudskogo na vstreche s trudovim kollektivom 1 sentyabrya 2013 goda’ [Report of the SPbSPU Rector, A. Rudskoy at the staff meeting on 1 September 2012]. [Electronic source] URL:
- http://www.chieim-spb.ru/images/stories/doc/rector_report.pdf (20.01.2014).
- QS World University Ranking [Electronic source] URL:
- http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2012 (20.12.2013).
- QS World University Ranking: Methodology. [Electronic source] URL:
- http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings-articles/world-university-rankings/qs-world-university-rankings-methodology (10.09.2013).
- Altbach, Philip G. (2012) The Globalization of College and University Rankings. The Magazine of Higher Learning, 44(1), 26-31.
- Hongcai, W. (2009) University Rankings: Status Quo, Dilemmas, and Prospects. Chinese Education and Society, 42(1), 42-55.
- Hazelkorn, Ellen. Rankings and the Reshaping of Higher Education: The Battle for World-Class Excellence [Electronic source] URL: http://www.palgrave-usa.com (10.01.2014).
- Liu, Nian Cai; Liu, Li. (2005) University Rankings in China. Higher Education in Europe, 30(2), 217-227.
- Hou, A; Morse, R; Chiang, C-L. An Analysis of Mobility in Global Rankings: Making Institutional Strategic Plans and Positioning for Building World-Class Universities. [Electronic source] URL: http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals (22.01.2014).
- Soh, K. (2012) World University Rankings: What Is in for Top Ten East Asian Universities? New Horizons in Education, 50(2), 36-50.
- Pusser, Brian; Marginson, Simon. University Rankings in Critical Perspective. [Electronic source] URL: http://www.ohiostatepress.org (09.01.2014).
- Williams, R. (2008) Methodology, Meaning and Usefulness of Rankings. Australian Universities' Review, 50(2), 51-58.